Two complete Battery Energy Storage Systems that will provide grid ancillary services to the IESO administered electrical grid. 6MWH & 2MW each.
Basin 1 and 2 Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) will be connected to Toronto Hydro’s 13.8 Kilovolt Basin substation. Basin 1 and 2 systems will provide ancillary services such as frequency regulation, voltage control and reactive power to the IESO regulated grid in Ontario. These services aid the flow of electricity on power lines by matching the electrical need from customers with output from the system at a second’s notice. These systems will be used by the IESO for various applications including spinning reserve and peak shaving energy arbitrage. With a response time of less than 300 milliseconds, these systems have the capability to react autonomously to signals from the IESO.
- Located within the City of Toronto and proudly serving residents of Toronto and Ontario.
- Each system contains 6 megawatt hours of solid state lithium-ion batteries, equivalent to 720 individual batteries each.
Scope of Work
- Deltro Energy Inc. is not only the joint owner but is the project developer and operator of the Basin 1 and 2 battery energy storage systems.
- Tasks such as procurement, design and construction have been carried out by teams from both Deltro Energy and Deltro Electric
- Deltro Electric Ltd. is the electrical contractor for the project, responsible for AC and DC wiring, grounding, and complete engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) equipment installation and commissioning.
- Basin 1 and 2 are constructed on a plot of land with few other options for use or occupancy due to existing poor geotechnical and environmental conditions found on the property.
- Due to conditions imposed by the Toronto Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), special engineering innovations were required to insure the battery systems could withstand any future storm event including flooding of the nearby Don River system.